Hayley - Issaquah, Washington

Personal Essay

I believe that there is a reason for everything. Bad things and good things happen as I go on in life, and I cannot control many of those. Even though I may not be able to understand why the bad things happen or even the good things, I believe that it is for a reason. Whether the reason things happen is to make me a stronger person, to prepare me for what is going to happen, to show you what other people have to deal with, or whatever the reason is, it is still a reason. There can be multiple reasons something happens, and usually I don’t know all of them. One thing in particular has helped me realize that there is a reason for everything.

Through out my life I have lost a lot of people that mean a lot to me. There was times when I was afraid to get close to someone cause I thought right when I started to become too close they would leave. It started out when my parents got divorced, I was forced to loose what I would consider my family. This hurt a ton of people in my family, including me. In the end, I think the reason that this happened was to make everyone happier. Despite the sadness that the divorce brought upon the family, I most likely wouldn’t have been as happy if I had to listen to my parents fight one more time. Soon after my brother left for college and once again I felt like I lost another person that was important to me. Over the next year I found out that my best friend was going to move away to Michigan, I felt people just wanted to keep walking out of my life. But I think the reason this happened was to brace me for what was going to happen.

Over the past 6 years I have lost four very important people to me, my grandparents. It all started out with my papa dying, I was going through a hard time already since I had recently moved and was not in the happiest situation. But him dying made me realize that things happen at unexpected times and time does not stop for anyone, life has to keep going on. A few years later my Grandma Alice, died of ovarian cancer. I started to think that there was no hope for me and people were going to keep walking out of my life, but I had to keep faith because I knew if I didn’t that things would only get worse. After that my Grandpa Lew died last year, but I knew since he was miserable, it was best for him to go to a better place. At the beginning of this year my grandma Lorraine died of Lukemia, this was extremely rough on my family, and still is. It is hard for me to wrap my mind around all that has gone on in the past 6 years, but I know that there is a reason that it all happened. Whether the reason was for the good or the worse, for me or someone else, there is still a reason.

Loosing people, is on of the many things in my life that I don’t know the exact reason that it happened but I believe that there is a reason. In my life I will most likely loose more people, and even though I will not be able to know why, I know it is for a reason. I believe that there is a reason for everything that has and will happen in my life.