Learning from Mistakes

Marisa - Queen Creek, Arizona
Themes: forgiveness

Throughout my lifetime, I know that I have made many mistakes. Mistakes I can never take back, but I have the ability to remember them and learn to not make the same one. Making mistakes and learning from them is part of being human.

A small mistake can be something such as accidentally not washing the dishes for my mom. I know that it’s a mistake, but at the end of the day, my mom would not hold that against me. Small mistakes can be easily forgiven.

On the other hand, people make mistakes that can be hard to condone. A mistake like cheating can take a long time to forgive and forget, but it’s possible to forgive someone for it.

My sophomore year, I hurt my parents with the decisions I was making. Going to parties and making abominable choices became a weekend routine that my family finally found out about. Before I ever got caught, I knew that the choices I was making were careless, but I didn’t really care as long as I was having fun and didn’t get caught.

As I look back at my past, I know that attending parties and having a good time isn’t the right thing to do. I believe bad choices can lead to better understandings. I can still go to parties and have a good time without being a bad influence. I learned to not do things I’m not supposed to do.

I believe life is about making mistakes and learning from them. People make mistakes and learn to accept them. They learn to accept them because we are expected to learn from them.

As I think of my everyday life, and the mistakes I have made, I realize I continuously make decisions that are sometimes not for the best. I believe that if I really analyze what I’m doing I can avoid situations that I might later regret. People shouldn’t judge someone by the mistakes they have made, but how they have learned from them.

I now see that nobody is perfect, and understand why people say that. As I get older I realize that no matter what I do in life I am always going to run into obstacles. Whether it’s a minor mistake or something major, I’m learning everyday the difference between right and wrong.