FORGIVENESS

Caroline - Kennesaw, Georgia
Themes: forgiveness

Forgiveness

Many people set out on personal journeys: journeys to help them find truth, find themselves, find God, or simply to find something where there seems to be nothing. I set out on my journey, a common journey to find love. I had high expectations. I was young and had a lot to learn. But the fact that I set out to find love is not as important as what I discovered.

I found love, or I thought I had. It was romantic at first, but as you might have guessed, it was short-lived. I had been hurt before. My friends had hurt me when they said my new hairdo looked horrible. My mum had hurt me when she refused to let me go out with my friends. My dad had hurt me when he refused to get me a car. But no one had hurt me like my newfound love did. I knew finally what it meant to have your heart broken. I knew what having a hole in your soul felt like. I was distraught, confused, and angry, yet no one could help me or understand me. This is also the moment I realized that forgiving is not as easy as it sounds.

I asked God every time what I had done to deserve such pain and suffering. But now I have learnt, I am older and I am wiser. My eyes can see the silver lining in every cloud. I know that even mighty castles, were once just rubble and brick. I now know that if I had never been hurt I would never learn how to forgive. I carried the baggage of my first heartbreak for too long. It was like an ulcer eating into my flesh. But once I decided to let go and just forgive, I was a happier person. As easy as that sounds, I will not lie and say it took me three seconds to forgive and forget. No. It took all of my strength and reason to forgive this man.

That is why I believe that if you have not been hurt you can never learn how to forgive. The concept of forgiveness sounds so easy. But the act of forgiveness is like moving a mountain. It takes more than human strength, more than will power to truly forgive. I believe that I was driven a power beyond my own. I always talked about forgiveness but this time I learnt how to truly forgive. It is not just a matter of saying “I forgive you” or “We are friends again” it is something far more complex–and fulfilling. Alexander Pope once said, “To err is human, but to forgive divine.”