Celebrating Every Goal

Grant - Orlando, Florida
Themes: sports

I believe in celebrating every last goal:

Soccer holds a special place in my heart – its nuzzled somewhere between my family and my friends. It’s a beautiful game that I cherish dearly and spend large portions of my day following. It hasn’t always been that way though.

I didn’t start watching or playing soccer until I was 22. I slowly gained an affinity for soccer and now that I am almost 25 there’s no looking back. I constantly have day dreams of “going pro” and getting paid to do what I love – play soccer.

My friends and I have a squad and we play in the intramural leagues at our university. Before that we played in other local leagues. As hard as I tried when we played, I could never seem to score a goal. After matches we would go out to eat and the topic of goal celebrations would come up when reminiscing about the goals others had scored that night. In my head I went over time and time again my celebration – it was going to be a grand spectacle with lots of pageantry and maybe even some fireworks.

When I got my first goal for our team, I didn’t celebrate. The hundred and one celebrations we had always talked about went through my head like a blur but none came to fruition. For some reason, I didn’t feel it was a goal worthy of a celebration so I just pumped my fist to myself and re-set for the kick-off.

Not long ago, Phil O’Donnell, a man who played for a club named Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League passed away while on the pitch. When I heard about O’Donnell I thought about my goal and how I didn’t celebrate and how I may never get another chance to have a goal celebration. O’Donnell surely didn’t. He never knew that his last goal was his final goal. What if the goal I hadn’t celebrated ended up being my last?

You have to celebrate every goal, no matter how worthy you deem it to be, because you never know when you score that it will be your last.

So next time I score, expect to see fireworks.