Inconvenient Truths

Meghan - Greenwood Village, Colorado

This I believe, that truth is inconvenient. That I need to do something to change the lives of the poor, the widows, and the needy, the plagued and the orphaned, the people who are crying out for help.

It is convenient when I get out of school early because a random kid pulled the fire alarm. It is inconvenient to learn that a school just collapsed in Petionville, Haiti, and killed 88 people, and that is why those children, like me, got out of school early.

It is convenient to think that AIDS only affects the promiscuous. It is inconvenient to learn that 15 million children have been orphaned by AIDS, and that 2.7 million children have AIDS because their mothers passed it on to them.

It is convenient to think that most children are happy, healthy, and well fed like I am. It is inconvenient to learn that every 3.6 seconds, someone dies of hunger.

It is convenient, and common to believe that when someone is sick, they go to the doctor, or the emergency room. It is inconvenient to learn that 1.4 million children die a year from preventable causes.

It is inconvenient to us when we cannot go shopping for a new dress, or new sports equipment. It is inconvenient to learn that three billion people in the world struggle to survive on two dollars a day, and that to satisfy the world’s sanitation and food requirements, it would only cost 13 billion dollars; about what the people in Europe and the United States spend on perfume each year.

It is convenient for me to spend money to go out to lunch every day. It is inconvenient to learn that what I just paid for lunch could have bought whole family water for an entire year.

This I believe, we need to do something. I cannot just sit in the comforts of my home, living in convenience. I am not meant to feel guilty by these facts, but to stand up for what I know is truth. By definition, truth is a correspondence to fact or reality, certainty. It is truth to me that I can correspond and change the world in a small, but significant way. I can make a difference. That is truth, this I believe.