Justin - Centennial, Colorado

Sometimes sacrifice is needed. Throughout history all over the world, men, women, and children have surrendered their belongings, fortune, things they love, and sometimes their life. What drove these people to ultimately give their lives as a sacrifice? They have done so to protect things they love, and things they believe in with all their hearts. Very few are willing, for it takes an incredible amount of courage and love in what they believe to accomplish this. I have sacrificed few things in my lifetime, but when it comes to a certain point in which my belief and courage is tested, I would lay down things dear to me. This is what I believe. I am a Christian, having been born and raised in a Christian household. However, there has been a point in my life where I chose which direction to go, setting aside what my parents believed and finding the answer myself. I went through a great deal of struggle, but at the end, I chose to follow my Savior. I had to sacrifice many things in choosing this, for it was a harder path, no doubt. However, I was glad. I have read of people who have given their lives for their beliefs; they’re not only Christians who have died, but of other faiths and beliefs too. I cannot say that I would die for my beliefs now, but I have read of people who have. It made me wonder, what could possibly be great enough that you would give up your life for it? I do not know. The first Christian martyr was a man named Stephen. For his beliefs, men dragged him out of the city and stoned him to death, yet in the midst of the murder, he cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” What does it take to sacrifice? I think love, courage, and steadfast loyalty to your cause is required. How many people have these qualities? I would have to say very few. The people who have forfeited their lives, for any cause, were probably looked upon with curiosity. It was either that, or amazement. Nathan Hale, a man who died for America in the American Revolution, was hanged by the British General Howe. Before he was hanged, he had but one thing to say, which was, “I regret that I have but one life to give for my country.” He died for the country, which he loved. He had enough courage to die for it, and he also had a committed loyalty to America. He was praised among the troops, and is still remembered today as a heroic man.

I have but one question to ask. Are you willing to give up things that have meaning to you? Maybe chocolate for a month, or maybe not watching your favorite TV show today. Are you willing to sacrifice anything at all for what you believe? This is what I believe.