Brian - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I always believed that if you worked hard you life would always work out for you and I was caught in a crossroads as I had came to see that it doesn’t. I found out that I wasn’t right when I was around ten years old. On my birthday I had helped my mom set up for my Believe birthday party and for thanksgiving because they were on the same day. My dad and mom said that I was going to get a pet for my birthday if I was good and had a good report card and I was really looking forward to having one.

So before my birthday I worked on my grades and stayed out of trouble as much as I could. I made a plan that I would follow for the next 2 weeks so that I can get my pet. The first couple of days of the 1st week went by smoothly and I got of my work done. I stayed out of trouble of the most part and my mom and dad were arguing as usual. Them arguing really didn’t affect me much because when I was little I really didn’t care about much.

As the week went on I started noticing a change in my family and in myself also. My parents finally broke up and it didn’t affect me at first because I was worried more about school. It got to me one day because went to go play with my dad and realized he wasn’t there and I cried. That basically messed with me for the rest of the time because all the kids at my school had their parents all together and I got teased. One day I got mad at this kids in 6th grade because they talking about my parents and I hit them all. I fought them all because thanks to my dad I had a very bad temper all my young life. I got suspended for 4 days even though I never got suspended before. My mom yelled at me because I got suspended and I just said in a calm voice ”You shouldn’t have broke up with my dad.” I told my mom what happened at school and she started explaining to me why they broke up. Even though I know why they broke up it still didn’t help me at all. In a way I think I am my dad because when he is mad I’m mad and I haven’t been really happy ever since they broke up.

So on my birthday I did get my pet because of the fact my parents blame themselves for my unhappiness. In a way I couldn’t tell because that day I had was amazing because it was one of the first and the last times my mom and dad were at my party together. As I got older I started to act mean towards my mother because I felt as though it was her fault that my dad and why he is never happy anymore. For most of my life after that I wasn’t either. That’s why I believe life doesn’t work out as you want it to because if it did my mom and dad still would be together and my brothers would be ok but as it seems they are not.