Fighting For Music

Jim - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Fighting for your dreams, this is what I believe. I am one of the many people who have experienced oppression of ideas and dreams.

When I was young, around the age of 9 or 10, I wanted to become a musician. I wanted to travel the world and play the guitar. A dream of standing in front of thousands of people expressing myself though a stream of musical notes that flows like a river to a waterfall, which was the magical rift that ended the song. With that I was determined to start my quest of becoming a guitarist. However that start wasn’t a smooth one, I was lacking the interment and the skill to play it. Like any child I looked to my father for help on this matter. Expecting a warm welcome to the idea I had no problem asking for the tools I needed to begin my lessons. However as I listened for the answer, a linking of unexpected words left the mouth of my old time father. “ Jimmy, Don’t waste your time, go do something constructive.” These words had a large impact on my dreams. The dream of me standing on stage, turned in to pictures of me being kicked off. This turned me away from the idea for a few weeks. Then I came to a revelation, the dream was mine. If I wanted to play the guitar there was no one who could stop me. This sent me on a yard sale hopping mission to find the tool to start the greater quest. This took a few weeks in itself, but after searching many stores and stalls I found the tool I needed.

A mere 7 years later, my dream has almost become a reality. I own three guitars, Jen, a black Epiphone SG, Deirdre, a black and white Lyon Stratocaster and Ally, my acoustic guitar. I have played in front of many small crowds and in a few cafes. Even with the many accomplishments that I have achieved, my father still does not approve of my passion. Even with his disapproval I continue on. I will never let the words of others deter me from my beliefs and dreams. I will continue to fight for what I dream. This is what I believe