Why do we hate?

Derek - Florissant, Colorado

One day I was browsing through videos on youtube.com, when i saw a link to a video of members of the Westboro Baptist Church protesting at a funeral. I clicked on the link, and as i watched, i began to recognize these people. I had seen pictures of them before, carrying signs that read, “Thank God for IED’s” and “God Hates Fags”. I was shocked. How could anyone say anything that harsh, that cruel? In this video some of the signs read, “You’re going to hell” and “Fags doom Nations” They were protesting the funeral of Matthew Shepard, who was beaten to death because he was gay. They kept yelling to the crowd of people what their signs read, and that the boy was going to hell, and that the murderers had done god a favor.

I think my heart broke that day. It was shattered because I then realized that people can hate so much, and that hate like this is why so many people in the world are killed every day. But I soon discovered that I was even more saddened to realize that people can hate so blindly. They fail to see the good in people. They fail to see why people are different, and why their differences should be celebrated. Humanity has come so far since we came to be. What happened to us? I decided that i couldn’t take it anymore. I needed the world to change. Every youtube video I saw that had any hint of hate, discrimination, racism, or sexism, i bombarded with comments of love. I decided to become the change i wanted to see in the world.

I believe that the world needs to take the next step, and that the world is ready to let go of hate. Why is it that countries need to defend their borders? Why not share their land? Why is it that genocide still exists in places like Sudan? Why not go help solve the conflict? Why is it that people need to use the terror of others to get what they want? Why not use love? By watching that one video on youtube, i opened my eyes to something that i saw myself in. I saw myself turning hate into love, and I believe we all should do that more often.