Overcoming Downfalls Through Determination

Kelsey - Divide, Colorado

Its crazy how something so near and so dear to your heart can be crushed within a matter of seconds. Looking back, I realize just how many months – even years – I have worked to this and in a matter of weeks it was all crushed down. Speaking in general terms, life is a path full of numerous twists and turns as well as ups and downs. It takes work to gain something you are absolutely passionate about, and roadblocks won’t refrain one from getting to the goal. I’ve had many encounters of these blocks throughout life, but who hasn’t? It’s life.

I began my cheerleading career when I was eleven years old. I fell in love with it from the moment I walked into the cheerleading gym. Although I started out quite small, and the worst as it comes, I was determined to make something out of my career as a cheerleader. I began with a small gymnastics class; however, I quit after realizing that bars and beams weren’t really my thing. Not long after, I joined a small competitive team and worked the hardest I’ve ever worked in order to prove myself on the mat at the first competition in the near weeks that followed. After receiving third place and a bid to Nationals, I was hooked to the sport.

I continued to cheer at that gym for two more years before proceeding to high school cheer. With three years of cheer previously under my belt, some minor tumbling skills, and enough determination for a whole squad, I was hoping for a Varsity spot. However, I ended up making the Junior Varsity squad along with six other girls; but I don’t regret this decision one bit. Our small team of seven ended up winning third place at the Colorado state competition, and I couldn’t have been more proud of our tiny, amazing team.

I loved cheer so much freshmen year, it was a given that I tried out again sophomore year. It was also a given that I made Varsity. In the year that followed, I made friendships and memories that I will never forget, as well as some grand awards along the way. With such a close knit team of twenty, we ended up winning ninth place out of sixty-three teams at the state championships, as well as the extremely amazing shot at Nationals in Orlando, and placing twenty-third out of about sixty teams.

Because of our well-earned success, I thought my career as a junior would be even better; however, it was time for change. For most people, change is extremely difficult. We lost ten amazing girls as well as our beloved coaches, leaving varsity with six and two brand new coaches. I don’t want to say I didn’t try at giving change a shot, because I did. I tried so hard to make this work I came home each night with tears in my eyes; however, things just seemed to fall apart around me. It was as though I was in a pit, but my passion and determination for cheer helped me out.

I always knew there were bigger and better things, and I surely found it. I am currently on the best elite team imaginable, and on my way to bigger and better things. I have a goal, which is to be the best I can be. With the aid of my never ending passion for this sport, I have reached a peak. The years that I thought had been shattered are being built up again – twice as high. I realize this is just a part of life, and I believe that passion is what can make it or break it.