Discourse on Intelligent Christianity

Lisa - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Some wonder how a person of intelligence can believe in God. To that, I can only say that my faith is just that; faith. Perhaps I can’t prove the existence of God scientifically; I can’t point to a tree or a blade of grass or a child playing in the park and say “There! That is the work of God! That proves his existence!”. But neither can I, with any scientific certainty, explain how a cell phone call travels from one place to another or how a voice comes out of my radio when I turn it on. Sure, you could show me a manual or try to demonstrate with models the principles of the process, but I can no more recreate the process of transmission in my own living room than I can recreate the creation of the universe. There are some things you just know and don’t question. I have faith that my phone call will connect just as I have faith that God is with me wherever I go; it is that simple and that profoundly irrational. There is no rationality to faith; it is something that springs from hope and optimism and the belief that there has to be something more and significant to everything that we see and feel and experience. If that is ignorance, then it is a beautiful ignorance and I wish there was more of it in this angry, fearful world.

If intelligence is the true question in this, though, then I must also present to you the idea that I am not the first, nor will I be the last, “intelligent” person to profess faith in God. Would you question the intelligence of writers such as T.S. Eliot, C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien? Would you wonder at the mental capacity of Copernicus or Newton? Certainly, where there is intelligence there is the capacity for free-thought, and often intelligent people are less inclined to blind faith without suffering, first, the trials of a life without it. However, if you want proof of God’s existence, I place myself before you now and hope you understand what my faith has brought to my life. I love without question, I forgive without thought; I wake up every morning with hope for the day and I am able to find peace in a world that rarely nurtures that concept. I have come to terms with my lack of perfection, but that doesn’t stop me from trying to be the best version of myself that I can muster, and all of this- every last bit- comes from my faithful belief that God is at the center of my existence.

I don’t know everything and I have never claimed to; I certainly don’t claim to know God or his plan for me any more than anyone else does. Despite this, however, I continue to believe. I believe that, if you make a habit of believing, you will soon find that it is not quite as scary as it might at first seem; that actually, allowing yourself to admit that you don’t know everything is, really, the most intelligent thing of all.