I Believe People Do Not Need Money To Be Happy

Robert - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

In life people do not need money to be happy. Money will buy you possessions that may lead to happiness, but you do not need possessions to be happy. Happiness can come from the people and things that are around you.

When I was eight my family went through some rough times financially. My mom did not work and my dad had just lost his job, so we had no money coming into our house. There was no warning; my dad simply went to work one day and his boss said “You are no longer needed.” It was the middle of the summer so I was at home, and I was shocked to see my dad home early. He walked through the door and walked straight to the kitchen without saying a word. After ten minutes my parents finally came out of the kitchen and told me what had happened. I was shocked when I heard the news, but I did not think it was that big of a deal. I was young and still did not understand what my dad losing his job really meant.

A month had gone by and my dad still did not have a job. I began to notice that my parents were not buying as many things. Whenever we went to a store I used to be able to get a toy, but I began to notice my mom saying no more often. One day I asked her why, and she finally explained everything in depth. She explained that money was short and that we could not just be spending it on things that we want. We needed to save the money for the things that we needed.

Instead of going and buying things to entertain us we would create games and things to entertain us. We would play i-spy games and charades. I must say it was extremely fun. They were games that did not cost anything and were much better than if we were to just go out and buy something to entertain us. We played games throughout the entire time when we were going through our tough times. We had such a good time playing these games because it meant that we would spend time together as a family. When my dad had a job he was constantly working and my mom was constantly out, so I never got to see my parents. Now my parents were home all of the time, and I got to spend so much time with them. My dad losing his job led to my family becoming much closer together.

We did not have any money and yet we had more fun than when we had the money to go out and buy things. Our family became much closer, and my dad losing his job is one of the best things that happened for our family. I truly believe people do not need money to be happy.