Hard Work

Hector - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Themes: work

I believe that in this short life we have to work hard and work smart. As the days pass by I, have to think that soon I will have to fend for myself in the world. I’ve been told many times, “one day your mother and father won’t be there to hold your hand”, or “you’ll have to make your own decisions.” Everyday I come closer to the moment in which these statements will no longer be distant occurrences but will be present circumstances. As these points in my lives come closer I can’t help but think of how I will handle this period of independence. I believe that the way we work now can prepare us for a hard or easy future.

Since I was little I’ve been taught of the trials and tribulations of the “poor man” and since then I’ve been taught that knowledge and education are the way to being successful. As I’ve grown and have witnessed for myself I’ve noticed that in fact many times success can come from hard work. My grandma of 61 years has been retired and getting Social Security, because of an inability to work, since she was about 55. She has worked everyday since she was about 7 years old, when the girls learn to cook, clean, tend to animals, work the field etcetera. When she turned 18 she moved into a bigger city and worked in a factory making bras and that’s where she had stayed until retiring. She worked hard day after day but the thing that makes her different…is that she worked smart.

Before working in this factory she joined a union and she also opened a bank account. Paycheck after paycheck she’d deposit a small percentage into an account that was untouched. After years of saving her money, she now has this nice amount of money and still every month receives her Social Security check and her union deposits money straight into her account. By working hard and by saving smart my grandma was able to accomplish this…and all without more than a 6th grade education.

To me this defines true, realistic success. For this I believe that being smart about your choices in youth has the potential to make your path a lot smoother in the long run.