Hang in there

Tianshi - Minneapolis, Minnesota

Hang in there

I believe in the power of persistence.

The person who has influenced me the most, Carmelo Anthony, is an American professional basketball player for Denver Nuggets. In 2003 I saw him in his rookie season on TV, and at first sight I was fascinated with the guy who has a baby-face in a blue team uniform. It was the most limpid blue I’d ever seen. Despite the fact he was 7 feet tall, his smile was so warm. Even more, his slam dunk drove me crazy.

However, these were not the only reasons I liked Anthony. The biggest reason was that his spirit inspired me a lot when I faced the hard times. I learned from him how to smile at life when things got out of control.

Anthony was selected as the third pick in the 2003 NBA Draft. In his second season, he led the Denver Nuggets to the playoff games, which was a huge progress for the team. In the first round, Denver faced the San Antonio Spurs and they won the first game, scored 93-87, in San Antonio. Anthony did a really good job in that game.

At that time, I was in my third year of middle school. It was a serious time to prepare for choosing a high school. There was only one student in my middle school who would get the chance to be free of entrance examination to the best high school. First, I had to pass the exam taken by my middle school, then by the high school. I studied so hard and really felt stressed tired, and sometimes even helpless.

San Antonio Spurs was a strong team which had won championships four times in only eight years. When I found out Denver would face the Spurs in the playoff games, I almost gave up because there was no doubt in my mind that Denver would lose the game. To my surprise, Denver played so well that they beat the Spurs in the first game. I felt so inspired and motivated from the bottom of my heart. I saw Anthony’s firm expression and felt his strong heart. However, Denver lost the next four games even though they had tried their best.

I passed the first examination successfully and became one of the two students who had the chance to take the next exam. The day before I had that important exam, I received a card from my best friend who knows me very well. It said, “Tianshi, believe in yourself! Hang in there! Think about Anthony’s spirit. He is still fighting even though Denver is 1-3 to the Spurs. Be brave! You are the best!”

Yes, it’s Anthony’s spirit that inspires me all the time. It supports me to in being brave and being myself. I know he will never surrender till the end, and so I will never.

Finally, I was admitted to one of the best high schools in China. There were only 70 students in my hometown that had this precious opportunity. After the exam, I’m the only one who knows that I smiled to Anthony in his picture.

I believe in his spirit. When I face challenges in life, I always think of Anthony. Everyone has an unconquered soul inside them. Anything can be achieved if you really want it.