Only God Can Judge You and I

melanie - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Only God can judge you and I. Sometimes I judge myself, because I know myself well enough but others can’t judge me. I believe that no one is high enough to judge someone, but people tend to act on things without thinking about it first. People shouldn’t judge others, especially if they don’t know them. The judgmental ones tend to be the ones that have self-insecurities. In order to take the pressure off of them, they place it on others. That’s the deeper meaning of being judgmental. My mom has taught my two brothers and I not to be judgmental because we don’t know the conditions and circumstances of others and it’s not our right to judge them. So who are we to judge someone?

Nobody is perfect and it’s those small imperfections that make us all unique individuals, different from others.

My former best friend and I used to judge others based on their appearance and I’ve realized that this was wrong but I guess she didn’t. People can’t control how they’re made. Some people are less fortunate than others, and they shouldn’t be teased because of it. I’m speaking in terms of clothing, hair, skin, weight, anything. Some things we just don’t have control over. One time my friend and I were on the bus and she was talking about two girls that had a problem with us. As we laughed I sat and thought how the laughter must have made them feel. They probably knew that we were laughing at them and at that moment I just realized that was so wrong. I put myself in their shoes afterwards when I sat and pondered about it. I definitely wouldn’t like it if someone did this to me. Something similar happened to me. I had an early memory of how it might’ve felt to be in their shoes. I was a victim once when I was 10 years old, riding on the subway on my way home from school. That particular day I wore a red and white sweat suit, and a bright red jacket. The hood to my bright hoody unzipped which made it look like flaps. The older kids on the subway talked about my flaps and me. They said it looked like I was about to fly away. I was put down and I began to get hot and I felt tears coming to my eyes. I thought I looked nice but apparently they didn’t.

I stopped being influenced as other people talked about others and just stayed out of the conversation, the commentary and criticizing judgment. People shouldn’t put others down because of something they can’t control especially. You never know the circumstance and what goes around comes around. You could experience bad karma, bad fortune, whatever you want to call it, and lose what you think makes you a better person than the one you are judging.