The Power of Your Voice

Yousuf - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I believe your voice is your strongest weapon. Although you can’t cause any physical damage, you can cause a lot of mental damage. I’m not saying this because I like to cause people pain but because it’s a better alternative to violence. When I was younger my little brother and I would argue all the time. He was more articulate then me so he would almost always win. That was very frustrating for me. As I’ve gotten older I’ve become more eloquent and now I almost always win arguments with my little brother.

What made realize that my voice is my best weapon was when I was arguing with one of my friends. He was putting down the school I went to and said the school he went to was better. At first I just let him talk but then I asked what makes your school better then mine. He said, “Because we have better sports teams.” I then asked him, “Other then sports teams what makes your school better.” He answered, “Umm Baseball.” I asked him the question again and he didn’t have an answer.

After that I took apart his argument and proved to him that my school was better with just my words.

I could have gone in a different direction and punched him in the face when he was saying bad things about my school. I could have physically hurt him but that would cause a lot more problems. If I got into a fight with him his friends could have jumped in and I would end up getting hurt. While when I use my voice as a weapon I don’t have to worry about that.

If the world all just argued with words instead of fists maybe there would be more peace in the world. If everyone just talked I believe that we could make more progress towards our goals.