I believe in Christmas

Olivia - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I believe in my Christmas tree. Christmas is a time where people are supposed to come together and celebrate the birth of Christ. A lot of people though just celebrate Christmas to celebrate Christmas. But even for those people it’s a time of coming together with family and friends.

So it may seem strange that in my house when putting up the Christmas tree is more of a time of screaming and yelling that that particular tree part goes on the bottom and not on the top as any idiot can see. That’s what it would look like to an outsider, but I know that it’s the best time of the year because even though there is in fact tons of yelling, it’s what happens afterword that makes it worth its while.

Every Christmas my Mom, my Dad and I always put up our Christmas tree. We usually put it up just after thanksgiving so that we can look at it all month. We usually take an entire Saturday to clean the house and decorate. First we clean, then vacuum, then dust. Then we drag up all the decorations from the basement. When I say we I mean my dad, who by the time everything is up is in a very bad mood and disappears upstairs until the more mundane decorations are all up. After everything is up mom and I put up all the garland and window decorations. By this time my mom is in a bad mood and I want nothing more then to disappear upstairs as well. More vacuuming is done. Then its time for the tree. It’s nighttime when the tree gets put up. My dad does most of the actual assembling because we have a very realistic fake tree that is about 7ft tall. Next go the lights. By now we’ve all calmed down and are basking in the soft glow of the Christmas tree lights. And now it’s time for the best part: the ornaments. Over the years my family has acquired many different ornaments. Hundreds. All from places we’ve been, and presents people have given us. Everything. We listen to soft Christmas jazz music and put up the ornaments smiling as we see our old treasures that have been away for a year. The tree is complete and there is a moment of silence as all the days’ troubles are forgotten and the symbol of peace for my family at Christmas time is standing tall.