Mind Over Matter

Liesel - Ogden, Utah

This I Believe Essay

I believe that human beings have a great capacity to heal themselves physically using mental force. Some people may not have the presence of mind to accomplish this, but most people don’t realize that they can do it, so they never try. It is also possible for many people to come together and, by sheer force of will, help another get well.

Most people think of healing as a purely physical phenomenon, but I have come to realize there is a much greater element to it than is universally recognized. One day, not long after I began thinking about these things, I was working and I stabbed myself in the hand with the point of a sharp knife. I decided to try an experiment. I used paper towels to put pressure on the bleeding point, and consciously channeled all my energy into mentally making that injury heal. I willed it to heal. I told it to stop bleeding. I continued this for about ten minutes and to my surprise, the injury not only stopped bleeding, but also stopped hurting. Though I probably should have had stitches for this injury, it healed completely within five days and today I have no scar.

Another time I had a bad headache and I had a paper that I needed to get done. I was up against a deadline and I could not concentrate because my head hurt so much. I decided that a power nap was the way to go. I set my alarm so I’d only sleep for twenty minutes. Then I lay down on my bed and told myself to relax. I told my headache to go away. I drifted off to sleep (something I can only do in the middle of the day if I’m sick) and when my alarm went off, the headache was gone. It could have been the sleep itself that soothed me, but I know plenty of people who wake up with headaches. I believe it was my own will and my instructions to my body, on an unconscious level, that achieved the healing.

Since then, I have practiced telling my body to heal when it is ailing and I have achieved great results. It takes practice and persistence. To control your body in this fashion you must be kind to it by taking care of it and keeping it healthy and in good condition. I believe that there is a scientifically inexplicable connection between mind, body, and healing. May we all make the most of it.