I believe in magic

Amanda - Scranton, Pennsylvania

This I believe:

Many people would define magic using terms such as spells, witches, wands, and magicians, as some unworldly phenomenon. I, however, define magic as a moment in time, when chaos and perceived failure transform to create something fantastic when least expected. I have been fortunate enough to experience this type of magicmore than once through theater.

In my high school, I belong to the Prep Players. We consist of a group of hardworking, theater loving students, led by our incredible director, Mrs. M, and musical director, Ms. E. Our most recent production of Inherit the Wind, proved to be a massive undertaking. This drama, based on the Monkey Trials, is not even attempted by most high schools. We soon discovered why. The complexity and intensity of the characters required extensive rehearsal and cooperation of the company. I could sense that the entire cast and crew were becoming frustrated, including me. We worked and worked, but nothing seemed to be right. Not only were the lead actors still forgetting lines, but the entire show lacked energy and continuity.

Then came dress rehearsal week, also known as “hell week” in the theater business. By now, all the concrete aspects of the show were in place. The set and costumes looked amazing and for the most part, every one knew their lines. But, some of the main components of a great show were still missing. Such are passion, awareness, and one extra ingredient that is all too elusive to a company. This extra something can not be produced by individual actors, or the director, or anybody else. In a great production, it is just there. The night before we opened, it wasn’t there. Not only did the show lack that extra component, but the entire dress rehearsal just seemed to go wrong.

Opening night came. I could tell that I wasn’t the only one nervous about the show. Nevertheless, the show went on, and because I was on stage for most of the time, I didn’t realize what was happening until it was over. Somehow, out of no where, that extra ingredient had slipped into our show. Everything and everyone came together to create an incredible show. It was like magic.

I don’t know the exact moment when it happened. And, try as I may, I cannot recreate it. Hopefully, it will happen again, but when I least expect it. All these things support my belief in magic. There was no magician or magic wand involved, only a group of dedicated passionate people aided by something greater. This magic existed as a spectacular moment, unexpected, and unable to be humanly recreated. It gave me an incredible feeling that is unequalled. I hope that I will be able to experience this magic again, maybe in our next production!