True Friends

Erik - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I believe that a true friend is there for you no matter what happens. They should accept constructive criticism and they should know how to give good constructive criticism in return.

I know it is hard to receive constructive criticism from a friend. You start thinking that they hate you or that they want to make you miserable just because they point out the flaws that you have. If a person is too afraid to constructively criticize you then, in my opinion, they are not much of a friend. To tell you the truth, how many of us have true friends or when that friend is really your friend?

Well, I know and I found out thanks to the most wonderful friend, Brittany Hair. That girl showed me what a true friend is, not too long ago.

Brittany and I met back in September of 2006. We were both starting at a new high school. There was an activity that our advisors, Ms. T and Mr. S, had come up with. Half of the advisory had to form a circle and the other half would have to stand in front of another advisee. The inner circle rotated clockwise. I was in the inner circle and it was my turn to move. The next person to be in front of me was Brittany. We had about one minute to talk and get to know each other. In those 60 seconds I said to myself “hmm, this girl seems pretty cool, but what’s her name again?” After that activity I saw her all over the school and I use to call her or tell her “Hey there! It’s you!” I then made an effort to remember her name. Freshman year went by quickly and we were just friends, schoolmates, and acquaintances, but not best friends.

Sophomore year started and I was really confused on what a “real” friend was. This led me into a very low point of my life. You know the one that you will always remember, no matter what you do to forget it. During this period, Brittany and her cousin Laura were there for me 100 percent of the time. This showed me a new way of thinking about friendship. After this defining moment, I started talking to Brittany more and more. We came to trust each other like no one in this world. There came a point where our ways of thinking were not how we both thought it should have been. This was a very tough time for the both of us. Brittany and I had gotten into an argument that was pretty big. We gave each other very harsh criticism. This all ended and we pulled everything together. Because of this argument, our friendship became stronger.

This is how I came to believe in what I believe in. I found out what true friends are and what makes a friendship stronger.