The Comforting Cup

Caroline - Collierville, Tennessee

My favorite thing in the whole world is waking up to a hot cup of coffee. Every morning, I make a point to pour myself a cup of joe and turn on the tv. Enjoying my routine cup of coffee helps me keep my sanity. These precious moments in the morning, when I’m able to sit and relax are what get me through the day. It’s the regularity, the predictability of coffee that allows me to make sense of the fast-paced scary world around me. For this reason, I believe in coffee.

Ever since I was born, my parents have always had the coffee pot going in the morning. At age three, I began to associate the sound of the bubbling brewer with home. When I was old enough I learned the discrepancies in my parents’ coffee tastes. My dad prefers his bold and black while my mom likes hers sweet with a splash of creamer. It took me a while to master the right blend of cream and sugar to fit my mom’s taste, but once I had it down, it became a tradition for me to wake her up on Saturday mornings with coffee and the paper. We’d sit in my parent’s bed and talk about everything-school, friends, and our family back east. Sometimes we’d find a good TV movie and spend an hour or two watching it. Saturday mornings were a time for me and my mom to catch up and coffee made it possible.

The fact that coffee is a hot beverage requires you to take the time to enjoy it. It’s impossible to chug hot coffee like a bottle of coke. To enjoy coffee to the fullest extent, it must be cooled before it’s at the right temperature to be sipped. Many mornings I’ve tried to hastily gulp down a cup before dashing out the door. I can’t even tell you how many burnt tongues I’ve been tortured with. From coffee I’ve learned that sometimes patience pays off.

I like how coffee is such a consistent beverage. You can go into almost any restaurant- from fast food joints to high class eateries and enjoy the same cup of coffee, more or less. Coffee is even international. It’s enjoyed from Europe to China; from America to the Middle East. I firmly believe that all the world’s problems could be solved if presidents and prime ministers would meet to talk things over coffee. It’s worth a try.

Next year I’m going off to college. I want to go someplace new, someplace far away. As much as I’m ready to start my life, thinking about leaving my friends and family behind kind of freaks me out. Wherever I go, at least I know coffee will be there to comfort me. I’ll sip it and know that the people I love are doing the same thing, wherever they are.