Immeasurable Intelligence

Joseph - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I believe that intelligence is not measurable by mankind. There is really no way for someone to know what another person is thinking about, how that person is thinking, or why that person thinks that way.

When I was in middle school, I always got A’s and a few B’s on my report cards, but in my first quarter as a high school student, I came home with a C average. I even failed a class. My parents had assumed that since elementary and middle schools were easy for me, high school would be the same. They were wrong. My parents assumed that, because I had gotten good grades before, that I was still able to pull the same grades. They said that my previous grades had shown how smart I am, and since I was so smart, I could get good grades easily. I realized that school grades to not measure intelligence. School grades measure the amount of assigned work you do, and the quality of the work you do, along with performance on tests, and preparation for class.

At this point, my parents think I am less intelligent because of my steady decrease in grade quality, but I think it’s because I have a problem focusing. When I get work done, it’s good work. It is high quality and is graded well. It’s not an issue of my intelligence. My parents can’t measure my intelligence.

After realizing that school grades do not measure intelligence, I began to search for things that did. Standardized tests to not measure intelligence, because standardized tests cannot measure the thought process, just the actual thought that is generated. IQ tests claim to measure intelligence, but they are usually quite biased, and therefore inaccurate. I finally came to the conclusion that intelligence is much more complicated than any test. I realize that there is no way to measure it accurately.