College is not my world

Melanie - Provo, Utah

I believe that college is not my world. It is so easy to get pushed into that “me, me, me” time. It is all about my studies, my grades, my professors, my job, and my future. What happened to make this time so self consuming, so self absorbed? It is easy to loose sense of reality and forget the millions of other people that make up the real world.

I believe that life is not about money, grades, or success; life is about relationships. It is about how you lift those around you, how you care for those in need, how you love those who don’t want to be loved. It is about how you recognize the needs of others; how you seek to serve.

I learned this after my freshman year in college. I spent the year completely consumed in my studies and grades. When summer came I decided to switch things off and traveled to Mozambique Africa to work in an orphanage. This forever changed me.

I can never forget the faces of those dear children- their cries for attention and love- their desire just to be held. They had nothing in the world; many had Aids. And yet they smiled. They danced.

Four years have passed since that summer, and yet I still remember the names of those children. I have since lived in Brazil, finding true joy in helping others. Truly, I believe that college, and careers are not my world.

I choose to make my world about service and love.