Never Ever Grow Up

Patrice - santa ana

Children adapt to every situation and make the best of it. I believe that every child becomes and adult when their imagination is stifled by society. We teach children that weird people are the ones that do not dress in business suits and sit in an office all day long. Children are blocked by adults until they refuse to return to the delight of childhood. I believe that adults should be adults, and they should leave children to be children.

Every morning I would wake up and make breakfast for my mom, and sisters. Before that, I would go to my sisters’ room to wake them up and force them to brush their teeth and get dressed for school. Once I got their food, I brought a plate up to my mother, who never left her room. After breakfast I checked their homework and walked them to the bus stop.When we got home I made them do homework. Then suppertime went the same as breakfast. Then off to bed to start the day all over again.

My parents were never married and we couldn’t afford to stay in any home for more than two years. When I was four, and my sister two, we were separated from my father and my mother found a new man, married right away, and had another daughter. Henry was a real estate agent, and sold the houses in the neighborhood that we moved into. So naturally when us children were told that he was off to work we thought he was going to the office to sell houses. Which he did do, but it was after work that he was lying about. He wouldn’t come home until very late, and it was because he was using, making, and dealing almost every kind of illegal drug out there, out of his stripper’s garage. He apparently had cheated on my mother more times than we could imagine. My mother knew about this, but we didn’t. She never left her room because she took so much depression medication that she would simply sleep all day long. We trusted both of our parents, and we never thought they could wrong us, or each other. As children life was perfect until, we started having child service councilors come to school and ask us questions about what life was like at home. Everything was fine because that’s what we were used to. In our minds we were lucky to be in the house we had, with the friends we had, and the food we had. Thats just how it was. Nothing was wrong until people started telling us it was. This changed me. The compassionate sister that I was became stone. I could no longer trust the world, because it told me that being happy was wrong. I am just now at 18 beginning to trust again. If I could say one thing to parents it would be to let their children find joy in everything, don’t block their imaginations. Play silly games with them, and let them be children forever.