This I Believe By:Kaloni baylor

Kaloni - 19138, Pennsylvania

Most of life is not being able to speak to someone but rather being able to listen to what it is that person is saying. As small children we all learn to listen to understand but as our knowledge broadens this practice becomes smaller. A main source of communication is by speaking, but nothing would be understood if no one listened. Listening is important, just listening won’t get you far though. You need to be able to not only listen to what a person is saying but also understand it.

In my tenth grade health class my teacher Mr. Jones gave us a “Good listening Skills” handout. He taught us that good listening skills are very important. It’s good to be able to understand and not judge people when they speak to us. I took the lesson to heart. I know that when I speak to someone I would like to know that they are completely listening and paying attention to what I am saying. Later on I heard the same topic discussed on a radio station while riding in the car with my mom. The male’s voice on the show asked, “Are you a person who listens to understand or someone who listens to respond?” I knew then that having the ability to listen is very important to me and was a little upset when I thought about all the possible conversations I have had where I probably was not really listening to what the other person was saying and were I was just waiting for them to stop speaking so I could add my own input.

I’m always saying to my mom that I do listen to her I just forget what she says sometimes but one day during the summer I realized that maybe I do not listen after all. Not to long after the radio discussion we heard about listening I also realized that sometimes she does not really listen to me. We discussed our lack of consideration for each other’s thoughts and vowed to work on our faults.

The ability to listen is so important. So much that it can be a big factor in life changing decisions. If teenagers like me or people in general who are with many issues had the opportunity to talk to someone who will not judge them, but rather access what they are saying then they might rethink how great it is just to live through another day. Good listening skills can make and epic change. I believe that to listen, I mean really listen, is to express how much you care about someone. To listen is to love.