An Unreliable Educational Program

Laura - Fontana, California

I believe that there are some educational programs out there that are unreliable. It is something that I believe because of a past experience with an educational program which was a continuation school that wasn’t fair to students who worked hard in high school.

I knew a person who was sent to a continuation school in the middle of sophomore year. According to his credits, he was only half way through his freshman year. At the continuation school he was able to go to class for a few hours a night and hang out with a bunch of other slackers. All he had to do was work on a few packets that might take a week or two and then he was rewarded with credits. After spending about a year and a half at his school he was ahead of me in credits. I had always tried my hardest and maintained a 3.5 GPA and yet he had more credits then me and ended up getting his diploma before me. He wasn’t able to graduate with the rest of the class, but he was still able to get the same recognition as the rest of us. This is something that I absolutely don’t think is fair at all.

I came to realize how much this bothered me when I was at my graduation party and he was getting just as much recognition and congratulations as I was. This really bothered me that he was being praised for slacking off during high school and taking the easy way out. This makes high school seem like a big joke. Why work hard if you can just take the alternative if you don’t make it? It seems like they are just getting around all the hard work of real learning. It is just taking the easy way out. There were so many different emotions that went through me when I heard that he received his diploma before me. I was sad, angry, confused, and frustrated. It seemed like I had wasted those four whole years in high school while he got to screw up and be rewarded for it.

I think that those kids who can’t keep up should have to stay in a regular high school and do all the work that the other kids do. If they don’t make it there, then when it’s time to graduate, then they shouldn’t be able to graduate. It is completely unfair to the hard workers and I think it should be changed.

My opinion matters because it is our duty to let those higher in power know how we feel so they can attempt to change it. I believe something really needs to be done about this remedial education program. It cannot continue to go on the way it is now. It is extremely unfair and it also makes our educational programs seem like they are not as important as they really are. Those who aren’t taking their education seriously need to start taking responsibility for their actions and work hard in school like everyone else does.