The Human Connection

Brandon - San Luis Obispo, California

The Human Connection

With an estimated 6 billion human inhabitants of planet earth, you could imagine the endless amount of individuals that you will never know or get a chance to meet in your lifetime. It would be easy to believe you are withdrawn from the world in a global sense. What I believe, however, is that we are all linked to each other in ways that we are never aware of until the separation closes right before our eyes. Whether it’s by one or six degrees of separation, I believe we as humans are all linked to each other. Many times in life, I meet people who in fact have connections with me that existed before we even met. This past Saturday night was filled with many of these occurrences, further establishing my belief that we truly live in a small world of people in which all of us are connected.

It was just like any other Saturday night in San Luis Obispo. Cal Poly and Cuesta College students alike roamed the streets in search of the perfect social function where they could release the stresses of the academic week. I found myself standing in the middle of a party, talking to two acquaintances of mine, Katherine and Caitlin. As we began to exchange stories about our different living situations, I mentioned the name of my roommate from last year. As soon as his name came out of my mouth, Katherine’s jaw dropped and her eyes grew large, as if she had just witnessed something extraordinary. Obviously she had some kind of connection to my old roommate. Once we established that we were thinking about the same person, she proceeded to inform me that she had grown up with him as a child and had not seen him in several years. Surprised and amazed at this connection, Katherine told me that she had recently been having a series of “small world” occurrences. It’s funny that many of these connections often go unnoticed; however, this night was different, and there were many more connections that would come to the surface.

Katherine, Caitlin, and I later arrived at their friends’ house. When we walked through the door, their friend and her new boyfriend, Cameron, were standing in the kitchen. I instantly began laughing as soon as I saw him, as he was a buddy of mine that I actually work with. Here again was another small connection between mutual friends, but that wasn’t all of it. It turned out that Caitlin and Cameron’s fathers were college roommates at UCLA. The relationships appeared endless on this particular night, and they didn’t cease to pop-up, as we seemed to have mutual friends wherever we went for the rest of the evening. The consistency in which these discoveries were made has strengthened my belief that we are all related in some way, shape, or form.

Everyday our paths cross with those of strangers, many whom we may never meet or see again. It is for this reason that I emphasize the significance of being open minded when it comes to meeting new people, for they may be linked to you in ways you wouldn’t have imagined. Last Saturday night was enough evidence for me to believe that we as human beings are all linked to each other in some way. Some connections just may be way deeper and harder to discover than others. If the opportunity to meet someone new presents itself, always try to accept it with open arms, for you never know what connection you may find.