Chelsea - Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Themes: question

This I Believe…

Going through life you run into, and overcome, many obstacles. This makes you a stronger person. I have always been taught to stick to what I believe in and have faith in myself. Growing up I have come to realize that being told this at a very young age has shaped me into a better person today. I have found myself stuck in many situations throughout my life that made it clear to me; you cannot trust anyone, but yourself. When I was a sophomore in high school I started dating a guy who gave me the world. I never thought in a million years he would or could ever hurt me in any way. My parents loved him and pushed me into giving him a chance. I ended up dating him and falling for him. I thought he was the perfect one, no flaws about him whatsoever. We dated for two years. One night he got belligerently drunk and beat me. He apparently had the whole planned schemed out. He told his friends he was going to ditch me in the middle of a field and leave my car and have his ex-girlfriend come get him. I couldn’t believe someone would do this to me. I wondered what I had done wrong. I was mad at myself for not seeing through this evil person and mad at my parents for pushing me to him. From that night on I have learned that trust doesn’t come easy for me to “hand out”. I have even found it hard to trust my family. Trusting myself, only, has had its advantages for me. I don’t trust anyone, and now I will never get hurt in that way. I have been going to counseling and I am working on building that trust issue back, but for now I believe it is better for me not to.