Baseball

Wes - Riverside, California
Themes: sports, work

I have been playing baseball since I was two years old in my backyard. I have played in many different leagues and made numerous friends throughout the years. Baseball has taught me many lessons, but none as important as always giving it my all and never giving up. I learned this during the season when I was twelve years old.

When I was eleven years old, my baseball team was an average team, winning about half of our games. That season we did not lose many players and we thought that we would have a good twelve year old season. We did not win any games during the first few weeks and we started out our season at 0-6. I still had faith in my team and knew that wins would come in no time. To my dismay, we continued to lose, game after game, and it was beginning to look like it was going to be a very long season.

My team continued to lose all of our games, and I thought about quitting numerous times. I did not want to waste my time showing up to baseball games just to lose them all. Whenever I thought we could win a game, my coach would screw things up by playing the not as good kids; whereas when we played the better teams my coach would play all the good players. All we had to do was play the good players against the not as good teams and we would have won a game.

The season continued to go by, still without winning any games. I decided that I would stick it out and finish the season, hoping that maybe I could still make the all star team. It seemed like there was no way I would be able to make the all star team. I mean, my team had not won a single game. Who would look for all stars on a team that could not win a single game?

When it came time for the announcements, I prayed that I would make the team, but I didn’t hold my breath. When I heard my name being announced I was shocked that I had really made the team. This miserable season seemed like it had all happened for a reason. It was very hard not to quit, and to show up for all the games. At the time it did not seem worth it, and in fact seemed pointless. To my pleasant surprise, all that hard work did pay off, and I was on the all star team.

My twelve year old baseball season taught me an important lesson. It taught me to always try my hardest, even when it seems like it won’t make a difference. It also taught me that hard work does pay off in the end. Baseball has taught me many important lessons throughout the years, but none as important as this.