Amanda - hopkinsville, Kentucky

I believe in perseverance don’t give up. Ever since I was old enough to walk I always wanted to dance. I begged and begged my mom to put me into classes. One year she finally did and I loved it. I always looked forward to going to classes every week and I never wanted to miss. I loved dance, it was my life. As I got older I still had the passion to dance just not as strongly as I did when I was younger. I stuck with it because I knew deep down I still loved it and it was my gifted talent and I shouldn’t give it up. I began to dread going to classes every day and sometimes I would even say I was going and end up going somewhere else instead of my class until my class was over. It took all I had to get myself to go sometimes. Sometimes I wouldn’t want to go so bad that I would cry on my way to dance. As I think back on it now I wonder if I didn’t want to go so bad then why did I make myself go? I still don’t really know why, but I guess it was because I kept thinking that I had a gift and wasn’t going to give it up, because I was too good to just throw all that talent and many years of classes away. The last few years that I had before I graduated from high school I realized that my time as a dancer was coming to an end very quickly so that made me realize that I have to stick with what I am good at till the end no matter how hard the obstacles are in between to get there. Now that I’m out of high school and at my community college, I still get to take classes at my dance academy until I move to a university that is far from here. I’m so glad they gave me the opportunity to keep dancing for two more years, because even after the fighting and not wanting to go feeling, it paid off that I stayed in it, because now I can go to dance camps that have scholarships so that maybe I can get a scholarship somewhere because of my dancing. Perseverance and not giving up on something that I am good at made all this possible. If I would have let my mind tell me to quit then I wouldn’t be where I am at today dance wise. Dance has been and will always be a major part of my life, and when I go to a university I am hoping to further my dancing in classes at the university. Dancing is my talent and I am going to persevere with that and never give it up.