Summer - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

This I Believe. I believe that God gave me my parents for a reason. Many kids don’t get the chance to have a good family life or unconditionally loving parents, and they don’t have my parents. Being a teenage girl, there are a lot of pressures and temptations to deal with. My parents have more experience, not necessarily good, than anyone I know. My dad is a recovering alcoholic, and my mom was not an alcoholic, but they were both living lives that I could never imagine before I came into the picture.

My junior year in high school I was at a friend’s house where there was drinking going on. I decided it wouldn’t hurt anything if I drank, I had done it a few times before and not been caught. Needless to say, I got carried away and by the end of the night had my head in a toilet. I had a curfew, and missed it because I was too busy throwing up. Someone called my dad and said that he needed to come and get me because I was sick. My dad rushed over, and when he saw what it was and the cause of it he only said “Get up, let’s go now”. I could barely walk so he helped me out to the car and through the night helped me while I was sick. The next morning I was still throwing up, but my parents made me go to church sick. It was embarrassing, and I can’t remember a time that I have ever felt that sick. I’ll never forget the way I felt and looked that day. Throughout the whole thing my mom and dad were stern, but caring at the same time. They made it clear that what I had done was not okay and would not be accepted. I was grounded for a few weeks.

Throughout those weeks, I had to work and do more chores than I ever have in my life. It was a punishment that I hope I never have again. My parents told me many stories about their lives and how bad alcohol messed it up for about 13 years. Some of the stories they told me blew my mind, things I never thought my parents would have done. Alcohol was something they had in their lives everyday, and it’s something they are both glad to say they haven’t touched in over 15 years. My parents came from being alcoholics to having a life that is the “American dream” in my eyes. My family is not rich, or anything anyone would necessarily envy. However, to me, it’s just the opposite. My parent’s lives have so drastically changed and they have come further than anyone I know. That is inspiring and what really makes a family to me. They show me that with love anything is possible. I know I can always depend on them for anything. I believe God blessed me with them for a reason.