A Choice

Roger - Riverside, California

A Choice

In medicine, an abortion is the premature exit of the products of conception (the fetus, fetal membranes, and placenta) from the uterus. There are two major opposing sides to abortion; pro-choice and pro-life. People on the pro-choice side believe that it is the woman’s right to do what she wants with her body. That no one else should be able to dictate what she does with her own body. On the opposite side is the pro-life group. They believe that abortion is wrong and murder. They both talk about the psychological effects that abortion has on the women. They talk about why the government should get more involved. There is even a debate about ethics in this controversy. Myself, I believe in the woman’s right to choose.

Being Pro-choice is not the same as supporting the killing of unborn fetuses. Being Pro-choice just means that you believe in the right to be able to choose. It should be the woman’s right to choose if she wants to have a baby or not. It is the woman’s body and should be able to dictate what happens to it. That is the main reason that we love to be American; the freedom. We can’t try to deny these women that right no matter what. People who are pro-life argue that if a woman can lay there and get pregnant, she should be responsible enough to take care of a baby. If that was the case, the same should apply to everything else. Let’s take liposuction for example. Why is it that people can eat all they want, get fat and just get liposuction to remove the problem? Shouldn’t people have to live with their mistakes and not be able to correct them?

there are also other effects that having an unwanted baby can cause. These problems can affect both the mother and the child. Many of these mothers that have unwanted children suffer from post-partum depression. They sometimes feel they want to smother the baby or even abandon it. However, the children feel the effect the most. Most unwanted children grow up in a bad home with harsh living environments.

Another point that many pro-life advocates make is that there is always adoption. most children that are put in the adoption system are not adopted. Most children put up for adoption are placed in foster homes. A majority of the children placed in foster care are sent back to their parents. Some of the households they are sent back to are just the same as when they were put into foster care. They are neglected and blamed for the problems that the family might be having. Do we really want a child to have to go through that?