Life Might Not Be The Party …

Kristin - Fleming Island, Florida
Themes: setbacks

I have always pictured Christmas with snow, happiness, lights on a tree, and gifts loaded under the beautifully decorated trees. Never in a million years would I have though that one Christmas I would be spending it in the hospital looking at my grandmother just two days after surgery.

It was Christmas of my freshman year in high school and I did not care about anyone but me, myself, and I and I had no intention of changing if I could help it, but I quickly learned that the world did not revolve around me.

I had learned only a week before that my grandmother had cancer and was going to have surgery on December 23, exactly six months before her 75th birthday. Even though I kind of had an idea that something was going on, because my uncle was calling on a Wednesday we he usually never calls anyways, but I could never quite put my finger on what was going on. Eventually it all made since, unusual call, my mom going back to Tallahassee when she was just there and my mom having secret conversations of all hours of the day.

My mom told me that that my grandmother had stage 3-4 cancer of some kind but no one could figure our exactly what strand it was. When she had surgery the surgeon removed her ascending and transverse colon. Once she healed my grandmother began chemotherapy and the cancer reacted to the ovarian cancer treatment even though no one had ever seen the stand before and it was not even ovarian. This was not the first time that my grandmother had gone through a rough patch in her life, but I was the scariest for everyone.

My grandmother reminds me of the say; “Life might not the party you hoped for, but while you are here you might as well dance.” To me this is exactly what life is about and exactly how my grandmother lives each and everyday. She takes every moment for what it is worth and never looking back no matter how hard it may be.

I believe that as humans we have to life for each second and never look back at an opportunity that we may have missed or not quite doing as well had we hoped on something, but rather on how we can make the best of the decisions that we have made. I believe that if we dwell on the past then we are never truly able to enjoy the present or dream about the future without worrying about what could have been. We only have this one life, this one moment, this one opportunity to live life to the fullest extent.

My grandmother is the epitome of this statement, she does not let anything get to her, or she at least does not let the ones she loves see it. She makes the best of everything no matter how had the event may have been or she even if the future looks bleak she does not let that phase her.

As a coach of mine always says, “ The moment is gone we can never get it back so do not worry about it just think about want you can to better next time.”