Time For a Second Chance

Derek - North Reading, Massachusetts

I believe that everyone makes mistakes in their life and deserves a chance for redemption. Making mistakes is something that every single person in this world does, although some may be larger, or smaller than others. No one is perfect, I think that the society that we live in has become to demanding, in the sense that when a mistake is made, it is too hard to ever forgive or look at that person in the way that we once used to.

Growing up I always wanted to follow my older brother Bobby’s footsteps. I mimicked nearly everything that he did, and wished that I could be just like him. The age gap between us was four years which was perfect, allowing us to maintain a healthy relationship, as well as to live separate lives. I remember going to each one of Bobby’s football and hockey games. I was even lucky enough to play on the same varsity hockey team that he was the captain of, during my freshman year. But our relationship that was once something that I cherished and thought was a tight bond to never be broken seemed to fade away.

When Bobby was around eighteen years old he was playing sports attending school and getting ready for college. But in the mix of it all he began to go out more often and slowly slip into drugs. His dreams of playing college athletics and attending prestigious schools were gone. I will never forget the day that my family found out that he was stealing from all of us for drug money. I can honestly say that my heart was broken, and I had never felt anything like that before at the age of fifteen.

None of my family members knew what to do, we never saw it coming. My brother was one of the kindest, funniest people to be around before the drugs, and now he was in a sad state that could depress the happiest of people. It wasn’t until he hit bottom when he realized that he needed help, and when he told us this it was a relief off of our back. He entered a rehab program for over 14 months, It was remarkable to see my brother turn his life around back into the person that he once was. He apologized for everything that he once did and showed us that we had the “old” Bobby back.

Bobby has been sober for over two years now. I can honestly say that I have never been closer to him, although he hurt me worse than anyone ever has. Not only is he sober, but he continues to volunteer at rehab centers and works with those living in sober housing. I don’t know of anyone that has ever been put through what he has and come out a better person. He is now inspiration for me to always do the right thing and have integrity in my daily life. That is why I ask of anyone who is reading this, that no matter what the circumstance is, how terrible, to not give up on anyone. Everyone deserves a second chance to redeem themselves, and you never know what the ending may be, it may be even better than what you began with.