Mother and Daughter

Nikita - Chesterfield, New Jersey

I believe in the beauty and strength of a relationship between a mother and a daughter. People always told me I looked like my dad’s older brother, but I knew in my heart that there is only one person whom I truly reflect, and that is my mother. With passage of time, not only are the physical features evident, but also the personal attributes that truly make me my mother’s daughter!

From the beginning of my early years, I found myself intrigued by the same passions as those of my mother’s. I would come home from school and ask my mother what song I should try to play on my electronic Casio keyboard my grandmother had brought from USA. I remember swinging on the swing in the middle of an elongated room on hot summer afternoons while playing my keyboard as my mother worked in the kitchen. My mother would pleasantly make her request and smile as I make several attempts to set the tune. Once set, her words of encouragement were fuel enough to ignite and perpetuate my motivation and sometimes, her headache. I would spend hours just working on various songs to play, but regardless of how painful and off tune I got, she never once asked me to stop! She had always wanted to learn how to play sitar, and through me, she saw her musical dream come to life.

My mother has a knack for words! Just as she spent many hours as a child learning the words from the dictionary, I too somehow inherited her love of words and became thoroughly obsessed, in a way, with words! When I am stuck with my ever-receding knowledge of my mother-tongue, Gujarati, my lifeline is my mother. In turn, I am her savior as she struggles to find the right English translation of her thoughts.

We have managed to struggle through the worst of times and despite a myriad of obstacles and countless “I hate you” moments during my adolescence, I find that I am at a place where my mother is my best friend! Yes, this I truly believe.