Always Cherish The Bond Between Sisters

Katlyn - Orange Park, Florida
Themes: family, setbacks

You don’t expect someone born by the same mother, and someone you confided in every single night especially when sleeping in your own bed alone was too scary, to vanish from your life in the blink of an eye and the pop of a pill forever. Anything can happen at any given moment, and the people you have loved your whole life can disappear right before your eyes in the matter of a few stupid decisions.

I believe that the emotional connection between sisters should be cherished at all times and never be taken for granted.

Although I never achieved the perfect sister relationship, I did once have a sister that I looked up to and believed in.

However, five years ago everything dramatically changed and hasn’t been the same since.

Seeing her lie in front of the entrance of the elevator, passed out all bloody, with smears of blood on the glass doors, and at least five security men trying to man handle her on the last night of our family cruise five years ago, is still something I see to this day when I look at my once beautiful sister.

After drinking an excessive amount of alcohol, more than a 16 year girl can handle, my sister was likely offered some kind of drug. Overdosing on alcohol and then drugs, my sister came to a state of near death, and could have possibly died that very night.

Waking up the next morning strapped down to a hospital bed, my sister was never the same. She ended up abusing drugs and alcohol more frequently within the next year’s period, and often ended up in trouble with the police. Threatening to send my parents to jail with the lies she would make up in order for her to stay out all night, the problems got increasingly worse, and she eventually found herself in a mental health institute for bad behavioral children for a month.

I thought about my sister everyday while she was gone, and I missed her, I still do. I cried, and worried about her, but I knew she was safe at the time being.

When she came home, nothing was the same. I haven’t had a real conversation with my sister in nearly five years. And when we do communicate, the conversation has potential to become an argument. I constantly think back before the unpleasant incident and can only envision, or perhaps dream, of our relationship growing into a stronger bond than it had already been. We hadn’t reached the “perfect sister relationship” yet, but I know that one day we could have reached that peak.

Something so remarkable and special is now lost forever. I don’t live with my sister, nor do I talk to her anymore. When she does come over to my house to visit, we say the casual “hello”, but nothing past that point. Things shouldn’t be like this. I believe that the emotional connection between sisters should be cherished at all times and never be taken for granted, as it could be destroyed so easily by the power of a bad decision.