mami

Susan - Kane, Pennsylvania

I believe that being a grandma is the most awesome feeling ever. It is so incredible that it is hard to explain this feeling, it just is. Being a grandma is different than being a parent and for me it is not sending her home at the end of the day. When I am around that little girl, there is no one else, she is my main focus. My grandbaby was born April 20th, 2007. She is my first and only grandchild. I was there to hold her soon after she was born. A friend had told me to allow Karys to smell my scent and that she would always remember me. I believe that this is true. When my daughter Katie was expecting we talked about what my granddoughter would call me. So I printed 5 pages of names for grandmother. But we could not find one. So I was called Grammy Sue. Katie and Karys live 2hrs away. I don’t see them everyday. From the beginning I would sing a song to Karys. everytime I would see her I would sing that same song. When she would hold the phone and I would sing, she would become still and listen. Today when she hears that song she claps her hands and smiles. She knows that it is me. To hold and rock this beautiful child is amazing. The first time she reached her arms to me I picked her up and held her. She touched my heart. I have friends that are grandmothers, they understand this awesome feeling. I have friends that are not and they are clueless. They never ask about her or ask to see pictures of her. I only hope that someday they will be a grandmother. Karys is now 1 1/2 years old. She is now starting to talk, a few weeks ago while I was at her house she looked up at me and said mami. This is my new name. This past week she came to visit. I heard her on the porch calling mami mami. When I opened the door and picked her up she pointed at me and said mami and hugged me so tight. This little girl is such a delight and I thank God and my daughter for bringing her into my life.