Nuclear Annihilation

Karim - Etiwanda, California

Frank Oppenheimer, father of the nuclear bomb recalled the Bhagavad Gita as he saw the explosion that he created; Oppenheimer recited a scripture from the sacred Hindu book, “If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one. Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.” Oppenheimer had just realized what he created. Calculation after calculation could not prepare anyone for this intense explosion that lit up the dark sky in 1945 at 5:29am in New Mexico. This was the beginning of a new era, the nuclear age. Just one of these bombs caused devastation that was unheard of, unfortunately in the present, The United States and other leading countries in the world have hundreds of nuclear bombs each and due to technological advances, these bombs are much more powerful than the one tested in 1945. Hypothetically, if all of the nuclear weapons in the world went off all at once, the earth could be destroyed several times over. I believe that all nuclear bombs and other weapons of mass destruction should be deactivated completely and removed from the arsenal that each country holds.

The scenario has been redone in television, movies and even video games. The post apocalyptic genre interests many people, and it’s because we want to know what the world will be like after a nuclear war. Everyone wonders what will happen the day that big red button is pushed. How can any country defend itself? What will the retaliation be like? Who is going to side with whom? How many lives will be lost? These are all questions that people think about. It is a very eerie feeling to think that there is enough firepower in our own country to destroy the planet Earth. What’s even scarier now is that third world countries are starting to develop these weapons as well. How long will it be until nuclear devices are sold on the black market?

The devastation of nuclear weapons was seen by millions all over the world when the United States dropped two Atomic Bombs on Japan; one in Nagasaki and the other on Hiroshima. The death toll was horrendous, reaching upwards of 200,000 people in the blink of an eye. These were sites of military strength in Japan, but at the same time, these were cities filled with hundreds of thousands of fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, and grandparents.

There is no reason for anyone on this planet to posses any sort of nuclear weapon. The devastation that accompanies a blast is proof that there is no reason to ever use such power on the human race. Not only do people die from the blast itself, but many end up suffering from nuclear fallout. Pictures of children with their clothes melted in to their skin due to the extreme heat of an A-bomb remind us of what happened in Japan, and are also a warning of what could possibly happen if a nuclear war broke out. As a civilized nation, and as the leaders of the world, we must set the example by dismantling all of our nuclear weapons, in order to send the message that we are moving forward, into an era of peace.