The Most Important Thing in the World

Kate - Falmouth, Massachusetts
Themes: love

I believe love shouldn’t be in the dictionary, because everyone has their own meaning. I’ve only been alive for fourteen years, so you probably don’t think I know a lot about love, and I don’t. But does anyone really? I think everyone knows a little bit about love, because you grow up learning to love the people you’re always around, your mom and dad, your brothers and sisters, your aunts and uncles, your cousins, and mostly everyone you meet, they make a life long impression on you. I think everyone who falls in love still has the same feeling, or at least some feeling for them, forever, no matter what.

I think love is the most important thing in the entire world. I also think it’s easier to love someone then to hate them. I’ve never really had any bad experiences with love. The only time I had, was when my parents got a divorce. Even then I never disbelieved in love, I just didn’t understand it. I didn’t know how two people who loved each other for 18 years could just one day decide they don’t love each other anymore, most likely the slowly stopped loving each other. Like when you loose touch with someone. I knew they still love each other, just not like a husband and wife. They just love each other as a mother and father to their children.

I never hated love, just some of the effects it could have on a person. I absolutely hate when people cry. I guess I don’t hate it, because it shows how much they care, but I hate that they are so sad they have to cry. I think I do because the first time I ever saw my dad cry was when he was moving out of my parent’s bedroom, into the spare bedroom. I remembered it as if it was yesterday, and I saw him, but it seemed like a dream I’m not sure if he saw me. I know I’ll ever forget that day, and im sure he won’t either.

I think you can love just about anyone, but “I love you” isn’t a phrase you can go around telling everyone, but once you know someone long enough, you can. There aren’t a lot of people I can say I love you to yet. But I know there is no one I can say I hate you to either. I think hating people is a big waste of time. And like I said before, it’s a whole lot easier to love someone than to hate them. Finding the good in someone is so much easier than finding the bad in someone.