The working Teenager

JoAnna - Orange Park, Florida

Teenage years can be the most exciting years of all. Ultimate freedom and carelessness that comes with growing up all happen during these years. However, being a teenager also means that the real world is right around the corner and getting ready for it can be the hardest challenge yet. I am currently seventeen and rapidly approaching graduation and the big eighteen. I am starting to realize that I have to start providing for myself more if I ever want to make it in the real world alone.

One of the things I have done to start preparing myself is getting a job. Having a job has taught me many valuable traits that I will need in the future. Responsibility was the major attribute that I learned first. I am a lifeguard and with that comes huge responsibility because I am required to watch swimmers at all times with out becoming distracted. If I fail to do my job somebody could get seriously injured. Also I have the responsibility to retain all the skills I learn on how to save someone. Learning the importance of this quality early on will ensure that I always take pride in my work and understand that I can not blame others for my mistakes.

Another trait that I am learning from my job is time management. As I said before I am still in school and with school comes homework. Not doing my homework would adversely affect my grades, and not going to work could cause me the loss of my job. Both school work and working are equally important to me so I have to devise a way to fit both of them into my schedule. I know for me this is a hard lesson to learn. Being a teenager I do not always complete work ahead of time because I am more interested in other activities such as social life. However time management is a crucial skill to learn before making it out into the world, it just may take me some time to master.

There are many other skills I have learned from having a job but responsibility and time management are the two most important to me. These two skills will help me in further career choices and help me improve as a person now. Being able to keep myself on a schedule will increase my chances of free time and decrease stress levels. Responsibility is a skill I will always need because every employer wants somebody who can depend on themselves. If I had not gotten a job as a teenager I would not have acquired these skills until later and would not have time to perfect them. So I think jobs are a valuable thing for all teenagers to have because they teach them important life lessons early on, better preparing them for the future.