Improving the Quality of Life

Emily - Yarmouthport, Massachusetts

Just recently there has been a trend, that everyone is trying to find the “perfect” diet. There’s the Atkins diet, the Zone diet, the all famous Weight Watchers and, many more; but that’s not the point. Many people spend their time counting calories or cutting carbs from all aspects of their diet, but for what reason? They want to improve their lifestlye and making it healthier. It seem to me that those diets take it to the extreme, and living a healthy life is much simpilar than that. If you make a concious effort to eat a more balanced diet (less junk food), than you’ll automatically start feeling better about yourself. Although, that’s only one aspect of becoming healthy. You should also exercise routinely, laugh and challenge yourself mentally everday. By following these giudlines, it leads me to exemplify my point that by living a healthier lifestyle, will make your life more valuable and rewarding.

I play soccer competitively all year round, averaging three days a week. I’ve reached a point in my career that if I don’t eat appropriately, then I wont be able to perform to my potential. I don’t do anything drastic, but I make a concious effort to eat healthy and consume many carbs to keep up my energy. At my best, I drink 64 ounces of water a day to stay hydrated. Competing in the heat is dreadful, especially if you become dehydrated due to a lack of water. I’m not saying that I always eat a good diet, because sometimes I allow myself to cheat; but I continue to try my best because it simply makes me feel better. I have felt an increase in the quality of my life because I always feel like I have more energy, compared to feeling sluggish and fatigued.

Exercising is simply the best way to relax and let out your frustration. When I run or play sports, I don’t focus on anything other than what I’m doing. By exercising for atleast a half an hour everyday for four days a week, it helps improve your stamina. Your lung capacity will increase and everyday you are decreasing your risk for internal problems later on in life. As you can see it’s not only beenficial for now, but also helps lead you to a long life. After I exercise, I feel mentally and physically refreshed. It’s the best feeling to know that you have run a certain distance or lifted a certain amount of weights, because it shows that you illustrate determination and discipline, which are advantageous in life.

Yes exercising and eating properly are the first two steps to living a healthy lifestyle, but most importantly is being healthy mentally. What I find to be one of the most vigurous exercises is laughing. Laughing is something I explore everyday, and I really agree with those who say laughing is the cure to everything. Not only does laughing help, but also practicing math skills or doing brain teasers such as Suduko, help keep the mind sharp. Its always good to give you mind a good challenege, so it continues to expand and find alturnate solutions.

These should not only be incorporated in your life, but also become part of your lifestyle. I believe that if you do so, than you will improve your quality of life. By being healthier, stronger/fitter, and mentally sharp, keeps you from getting diseases and gives you a tremendous amount of confidence. From my experience, following these guidelines has given me more energy to enjoy things and be more content with my life in general. Be pro-active, take initiative and, improve your habits, to live your life to what you believe to be its fullest potential.