Joe - mchenry, Illinois

This I believe. I believe that Marijuana use and possession should be legalized. The use of cannabis by humans is estimated to have started in ancient times by several different cultures and societies. Cannabis is becoming more widely used for its medicinal properties as well as it’s recreational and even it’s spiritual powers. The ancient world has used cannabis for medicinal uses for centuries. China, Egypt, and India recognized that marijuana can be used to relieve pain, treat insomnia, even gastrointestinal problems as well as a plethora of other uses. Today marijuana is still used as an herbal therapy medication, and several forms of synthetic THC and cannabinols have been produced by man to serve similar functions. For as long as marijuana has been used as medicine, people have used it for its recreational powers as well. In the late 1960s and 1970s Marijuana and other drugs took the country by storm as a revolutionary counter-culture began to take the reigns of society. Drug use has since decreased and the “war on drugs” began. Today the average high school senior regularly uses marijuana. There is not much to say about cannabis’ recreational use. You have to try it first hand for yourself if you really want to experience its wonderful properties and “hi”. Finally I believe that Marijuana’s use as a spiritual or religious tool is very important to conceive, most of all because we live in a country of religious tolerance and acceptance. Many cultures have used cannabis in their religious practices. The Germanic societies of Europe believed it to be related to the Goddess of Love. While the Hindus understood its psychoactive power and used it for religion, they also relate it to the worship of the God Shiva and although less prevalent worshiped the hemp plant itself. The Hebrews used it as an ingredient in anointing oil and The Old Testament mentions it as a bartering tool, insence, and for its spiritual and medicinal use. Muslims attribute the cannabis state of consienceness with a higher state of awareness. Cannabis use in Islamic society has been consistently present through out all social casts. I believe that Marijuana use and possession should be legalized or at least decriminalized, after all it’s just a little pot.