Tell Someone Good Job

Jacob - Butte, Montana

Tell Someone Good Job

When I was a freshman in high school I had a terrible time with school, I just could not adjust to the homework and all the studying that was involved with the transformation from king of the hill eighth graders to bottom of the barrel freshman. I had an especially tough time with English class, I had always loved to read but now we actually had to write and we were expected to write well. I will never forget my first writing assignment that year, our class had just read John Steinbeck’s novel Of Mice and Men and we were instructed to write a book report over the novel. I loved the book and was very excited to write the report, I thought I wrote one hell of a paper, I thought it was a for sure A. When it came time to turn them in I handed mine to my teacher only to see her read it and laugh out loud, she told me in front of the whole class that my paper may have been one of the worst papers she had ever read. I have never felt that low in my life I walked out of my class embarrassed and angry; I told myself that I was never going to put effort into writing again.

I kept that attitude toward writing all though high school until, during my senior year I was enrolled in writing for college class. My teacher was very nice and she helped us a lot, so I started to come out of my shell a little bit. She always told me that my papers were okay, they were never good or great. With my freshman English teacher laughing in my face and never writing anything but an okay paper senior year anyone could see that I hated to write, I thought I was horrible at it and I thought it was stupid.

It was not until college, freshman year, that someone told me I was a good writer. It happened during my first writing assignment of my English class; we had to turn in rough drafts of a summary that we were working on. This made me very nervous and I was frankly quite horrified. This may have been one of the most intimidating moments in my life, first week of class having to meet one on one with my professor to review my rough draft. I was back in high school getting laughed at as my professor read and reread my paper, when suddenly I was snapped back to reality by words I will never forget, “This is really good, you are a very good writer.” Those words coming from a college professor, who is rumored around the campus to be the hardest in the school, really opened my eyes to writing and it made me feel good about myself. I now am not afraid to write and I actually enjoy it. I really believe that everyone needs someone to tell them good job at some point in their lives no matter what they are doing