Keep Driving

Kenny - Montclair, California

No matter what the subject, whether it is cars, planes, watches, or maybe even lint. If it is your passion, pursue it. If you have a dream, no matter how insignificant it may seem, work toward making it a reality. I get so upset when talking to someone who tells me about their passion, or a dream they have only to imply that “It will never happen.” That thought process is foreign to me and I believe it to be incorrect. Allow me to elaborate.

I am a senior in High School and am a huge exotic car freak, with emphasis on freak. When I was 15, I discovered this trait. At that time, I set a few goals for myself. They are dreams of mine that I desire to make a reality. One goal is to sit in, start up, drive, or ride in as many exotic cars as I can before I die. Another is to work on DeLoreans at DeLorean Motor Co. California, which, I might add, is becoming more of a reality every Monday and Tuesday (thanks to my senior project).

When I first told people of my dreams, they laughed at me. They told me, “That’s stupid.” However, I wasn’t going to believe what they said and just give up or quit. I have worked hard to fulfill my dreams, even though they are still far from being a full reality. I have come a long way. For example, since I set out to sit in, drive, start up, ride in as many exotic cars I can, I have, so far, sat in 46 exotic cars, have ridden in 6, started up 5, and even driven two (one Rolls Royce and one DeLorean).

When I am able, I go to car shows. But I don’t go for the same reasons others do. Most people attend car shows to see and take pictures of these beautiful cars. I, on the other hand, go not only to look at the cars but also to attempt to sit in them, start them or to get a ride in them. These are the times when my passion and dreams enter the situation. Let me explain. I went to Victoria Gardens one day to pick up my suit. On the way there, I spotted a low slung silver car. As I got closer, I realize that it’s a Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster. I pulled over and my mom took over driving. I stood in front of this long, low car that looks like its going 150 miles per hour just by standing still. I waited there two and a half hours for the owner to come out. When he finally did, my heart was racing like a 16 cylinder,1001 horsepower engine at full speed as he asked me, “Do you have any questions about the car?” There were a few moments of silence before I actually said “Yes, um…. I was wondering…. because its my birthday on monday and its always been a dream of mine to get a ride in a Diablo..” Before I could say anything else, he said “Sure, can you give me a few minutes?” I politely nodded. After a few minutes passed, we both opened the scissor doors and got in. Then he gave me a quick ride in his awesome car.

Getting back to my point, this was a dream that I thought would never happen. Although, because I was so passionate about the car and I had a goal to work toward, I was able to make my dream a reality. If I never had the passion, I could not have stood there for the amount of time that I did. On the other hand, if I had the passion but not the goal, I may have stood there waiting like I did, ultimately seeing the Diablo drive away (along with the chance to have a ride). Instead, I had the passion and the dreams.

I believe that goals are worthwhile only if you have a means to support them. I have the goals and the dreams. I also have the passion to drive toward my goals (no pun intended). I also know that if you have a passion and a dream, don’t stop yourself by saying it’ll never happen. So, if it’s your passion… or your goal… Don’t spend your life dreaming. Do the best you can and make that dream a reality.