Ryan - Fort Knox, Kentucky

I believe that the United States Army is the most beneficial and rewarding career for any individual. The United States Army is a military organization whose primary mission is to provide necessary forces and capabilities in support of National Security. At the age of 17 anyone can join and serve in the Army. No college education is required because each soldier learns one skill out of a variety of skills. The Army teaches individuals the strength within themselves and most importantly leadership. A soldier isn’t necessarily the smartest person around rather he is the most intelligent. For instance, how many people know how to find their way using a compass if they were lost in the woods? After signing up for the Army one must complete the basic training course where basic military skills are taught. After basic training each soldiers is assigned an MOS (Military Occupational Specialties), their job in the army. They conduct their job in the reserves, National Guard, or on active duty. The reserves and National Guard only requires individuals to conduct military training one weekend a month while maintaining a civilian occupation. On the other hand, active duty is when an individual conducts their military job full-time. Individuals can either be Enlisted or become an Officer. Enlisted soldiers conduct the hands on work while Officers hold the leadership positions that run the Army. There are over 100 careers in the Army to choose from, each with a specific skill involved. Many people believe that because you sign up for the Army you are just going to have to fight other people in a war, which is a huge misconception of the Army. The Army offers the same careers you would find anywhere else, just in a more exciting way. In the Army you could find yourself in a career as a doctor, lawyer, pilot, policemen, or an engineer just to name a few. The experience you gain from being in the Army is incredible; you are a professional at what you do. Military experience is very marketable after your service and the retirement benefits are unbeatable. As a soldier you are entitled to countless benefits: benefits that will stick with you for the rest of your life. The Army looks after their soldiers to make sure they are well taken care of. For those looking to continue or further their education the Army offers up to $47,000 for college tuition and fees. Salaries are competitive and increases with progression through the ranks. Housing and utilities are provided as well as dental and heath care for soldiers and their families. Upon retiring from the Army with at least 20 years of service, retirement benefits include full medical care and part of their previous salary. American citizens have to upmost respect for their soldiers and support their service. I was just awarded an $80,000 ROTC scholarship for college. In return I owe the Army 4 years of service.