Someone I Can Turn To

Taylor - San Luis Obispo, California

The divorce of my parents is something I will never forget. I remember the place, the words spoken, and even what I was wearing when my mother told me the heartbreaking news. I was so young that I did not understand the true meaning of divorce, and I thought that this meant I no longer had a father. As a kid, I was emotionally distraught. My friends at school didn’t know much about it either at the time, but helped me get through it. My father moved out, and I stayed with my mother and sister in the same house. As time passed, my mother couldn’t afford the house any longer, so she wanted to move to a smaller town inland. To please her, I moved to this area, which was about an hour away. As I said my goodbyes and we backed out of my driveway, I felt as though a part of me died and that I would never have the same relationship with my friends after I moved. At first it wasn’t so bad because I could call and visit them every once in a while. However, after a couple of years had passed, things were beginning to change.

My friends and I were starting to become more involved in our own lives, so I wasn’t talking to them as much anymore. I started to hint to my mother about wanting to move back to my hometown. At first, she denied this notion and thought it would be good for me to make friends in a new area. After year three, it had become obvious to us both that I didn’t belong there. During school I received several threats from gang members, and most of the people I called friends faded away. I yearned for the friends I had left three years ago. When my mother finally agreed for me to live with my father and go back to school with my friends, I was ecstatic.

The first day of school, I was so anxious to see my friends I nearly ran from my car to the campus steps. After my grandmother helped me get my paper work filled out I was allowed to go to first period. My best friend was in that class, and the moment we saw each other all we could do was scream. The emotions were indescribable. After I talked with her for a minute, I was reacquainted with all of the people that I had gone to school with since preschool. It was a good feeling. I was home.

All day I received excited hugs and acceptance among all of the students at the school. I had wanted to be back with my friends for three years, and the day was finally here. I felt as though I had missed a lot, but I didn’t think for a second that I didn’t belong there. My old friends and I caught each other up on the latest in our lives, and we were all anxious to make new memories. I realized that the time spent in the other town would have been different if I had friends like the ones I had from home. I had needed someone I could really talk to and share a connection with. These friends are more than acquaintances. These are the types of friends that last a lifetime. I believe in the trust and comfort that true friendship brings.