Danielle - Auburn, Washington

I believe that a coach can push you to do things you never thought you could do. Yes, your parents try to push you to. It’s just not the same though. There’s something about a coach that just makes you want to work harder then you ever have before. I never really had a coach like this until freshman year club season.

I tried out for one of the best clubs around here. After a long hard day it was time to post the teams. To my surprise I looked up and saw my name under the 15 silver sign. That was the beginning of the best volleyball season of my life so far.

For the first few practices and tournament our coaches were this young couple that could play the game but couldn’t coach at all. They were terrible and no one liked them. Luckily the club director noticed and gave us coach chuck to turn things around. Which he did the very first practice he was there. He didn’t expect anything but 100% out of us all the time. He believed in every single one of my team mates and did everything he could to make us better.

I didn’t really have a spot on the team and my coach told me that. At that point I expected to just be sitting on the bench the whole season and wasn’t looking forward to it.

It was the third tournament that I began proving myself. Our libero hadn’t playing well and my coach came up to me and asked “can you be the libero and get the job done”. I was hesitant at first considering I had always been a hitter but decided to give it a shot.

From there on out my coach pushed me to be the very best I could at that position. He was more confident in myself then I was. Not only did I want to succeed for myself but I wanted to do it for him. I wanted to prove to him that I am a good volleyball and that he did teach me a lot. By the end of that season I owned the back row of the court. I was passing great and digging everything up.

He was one of those coaches that yelled at your more to do things better then saying you did something right. So when he did it really meant a lot. I tried so hard to get that from him. That was an accomplishment all on its own. Another thing that he did that really pushed me hard was how he would threaten to take me out of the game if I didn’t pick it up. That always made me focus more and pass better.

I am now the starting libero at Auburn High School and ended the season number one in the league for digs. I believe coach Chuck pushed me to be the volleyball player I am today.