Rudy - Lafayette, Kentucky

Throughout my life, I had the wrong idea about things. My mom always told me that if I just applied myself, then I could accomplish anything. But for some reason, I just didn’t want to do that. I don’t really know why, whether or not it was because I grew up without a father, or if it was because I had lost a lot of close family members in a short period of time. All I knew was that I had a sence of hopelessness that stayed with me for around 18 years. I quit caring about school , my family, my friends, and myself. I eventually dropped out of school when I was 17, and was naïve enough to think that I was smart enough to make it on my own without a high school diploma.

I got into a relationship that ended badly and furthermore encouraged my depression. I was lost with no way out. I ended up getting a job working in a jean factory known as Flynn Enterprises. I worked really hard at first so I didn’t make my friend who got me the job look bad for putting his name out there on my behalf. But eventually, my bosses took notice of my work and they took me off the production floor and put me on a fork lift. I was receiving praise and I was becoming motivated to work hard for myself and not for my friend. I had a baby boy and that motivated me even more, but I still felt a sence of emptiness inside me.

Although I worked hard every day and was a model worker for six years, I did not enjoy being there one bit. It made me irritable, and drained me physically. I was looking at my life and realized that this kind of job wasn’t what I wanted to make my career. I didn’t want that job to be where it all ended. I was only 22 years old, and I realized that in order to be happy, I have to make myself happy. I finally had the motivation to achieve great things. I knew that I would have to go back to school and learn how to do something that I wanted to do.

So I got my GED and set myself up to go to college. My experience from the factory provided me with the work ethic I needed to make the grade, and being a single father with a son to provide for has given me the motivation to stick with it. I am currently attending the local Community College and I intend to transfer to a four year school as a math major. Maybe I needed those experiences throughout my life to open my eyes, but now they are wide open and my conviction has never been stronger.

I believe that even though you might have strayed the course in life, you can still accomplish anything you set your mind to.