I believe Christmas Really is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Elizabeth - Fleming Island, Florida

I believe Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year. What could be better than getting together with those I hold most dear, eating all the food I could possibly want, and seeing the joy on everyone’s face when they begin opening their presents? There are so many wonderful things about Christmas, it’s a shame we can’t celebrate it all year long.

One of the things that make Christmas the most wonderful time of the year is having the opportunity to be completely surrounded by my friends and family. Just picturing my grandma’s beautiful smile and my uncle’s “Santa Clause” laugh fills me with warmth.

Another reason why I believe Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year is the decorating, which just happens to be my favorite holiday duty. Everything has to be decorated; from the roof to the yard, the front door to the tree, the bedrooms to the fireplace. Last year I even wrapped my truck with wrapping paper! Although it is usually the most time consuming process, decorating the Christmas tree is by far the most fun. It takes the longest to finish because as we take each of our homemade ornaments out of their boxes, we take time to think back to when it was made, and are overwhelmed with wonderful memories.

Making Christmas dinner is a close second when it comes to Christmas tasks. I personally adore being in the kitchen, which makes Christmas dinner that much more exciting. After all of the presents are opened on Christmas morning, all of the men go outside to play a family game of football while the women move on to the kitchen where we begin preparing that most elaborate meal we’ve had in a year. Traditionally, Christmas dinner is eaten around three’ o’clock and consists of many dishes: turkey, stuffing, ham, green bean casserole, yams, rolls, cranberries, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, to name a few. The fest is amazing, even if you do have to run five miles a day for three months to burn off all of those calories.

The best part of the whole Christmas experience is the joy that it brings to everyone, small or tall. I can’t get enough of my younger cousin’s faces when they start to open their presents on Christmas morning. That look of pure happiness and excitement takes my breath away. If everyone had the opportunity to experience that daily, the world would be a much better place.

So my question for you; how could a holiday that made even the Grinch’s heart grow three times in size not be wonderful?