I believe come cooked meals are healthy for the heart

Priscilla - Orange Park, Florida

I believe home cooked meals are healthy for the heart.

I loathe eating out too much and if it were possible, I would have a home cooked meal daily.

Life’s daily routines easily become mundane. Each day can seem increasingly stressful whether it involves school or work. From the moment I open the door to my house, I feel at ease. As the rest of my family trickles in, we think of what we want for dinner. The belief I was raised upon is that cooking is a family affair. Both sides of my family enjoy cooking huge portions for many guests. Our rich traditions are exposed when we are in the kitchen. Whether it’s my mom’s famous macaroni or my grandmother’s curry, we gather in the kitchen to prepare our meal with the ingredients of fun and laughter. We become ridiculously excited over the dishes we make; trying new recipes or simply adding a new ingredient seems to evoke animated smiles on our faces.

Preparing the meal is only half of the fun, sitting down and enjoying the meal in good company is what makes the meal worthwhile. When I have experienced the worst day, my family knows that the best way to cheer me up is to serve me some homemade food. At the dinner table, any stress I had felt prior to that time simply dissolves and this is how it should be. If I have prepared the meal, I enjoy watching my family try it before I do because their reactions are the most rewarding. I find my mother doing this as well. When I try a new recipe and I see a positive reaction on their face, I know it has passed the test. I fall in love with the meals my mom cooks and as soon as my brother and I are done eating, I tell her she has to cook everyday and she laughs. Conversations carried during dinner allows us to bond and talk about our day; it gives us a chance to unwind.

In my opinion, our food tastes so delicious because of all the love we put into it. To cook for someone means that you truly care about them, and in such a case I guess we are exceedingly caring. Home cooked meals brings me closer to my family and is the reason I believe I have such a healthy heart.